Secure Your Home With These Valuable Tips
Your house and everything in it are valuable and you want to do everything you can to protect them. Although theft is covered under your home insurance policy you should make sure you are covering all your bases by utilizing these tips to keep your home secure:
- Don’t leave an extra key outside somewhere.
- Keep an inventory checklist of all your personal property.
- Trim bushes that grow along your house, especially near windows, since this an area burglars like to hide in.
- Keep valuables out of street view and make sure your windows are covered.
- If you are away from home for a long period, set up light timers, stop delivery of your newspaper and mail, and have your lawn mowed or driveway shoveled to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Clean out your garage in order to park your car inside and prevent car thefts. Also keep the garage door shut when not in direct use.
- Change the locks/passcodes if you lose your keys or move into a new house.
- Invest in a security system. This may qualify you for an insurance discount of 5-15% off your premium.
- Always lock your windows and doors. Even though this seems obvious some people still forget this important step.
There may be specific coverage limits on personal property insured under your homeowner’s policy. In the unfortunate event that there is a theft in your home you should check with us to make sure your most valued items are fully covered. We can help you get situated with right policy for your needs.
Posted on Mon, April 24, 2017
by Starr Mathews filed under