What is Motorcycle Insurance?
Motorcycle insurance protects you in the event of a motorcycle accident or a loss caused by theft or damage. Motorcycle insurance provides coverage for the damaged bike, as well as liability coverage in case you are responsible for another person’s injuries or property damage.
Your motorcycle policy can be customized to include:
- Full replacement cost coverage for your bike if it is totaled
- Comprehensive coverage, which pays for damage to your motorcycle caused by something other than a collision (e.g., hail, weather, theft, etc.)
- Medical payments, if you need hospitalization or medical care
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, if you are in an accident with another driver who does not have adequate insurance
- Coverage for gear and upgrades, which protects items like transport trailers, sidecars, custom exhaust equipment, and even safety equipment and apparel
Motorcycle insurance works like car insurance. You will have protection for covered liability and property damage losses up to the limits of your policy, subject to a deductible. But your automobile policies will not cover your motorcycle—you need separate motorcycle insurance that is customized to the kind of bike you have and how often you ride it. Most states require that you carry at least liability insurance for your motorcycle, and Georgia is no exception.